I’m celebrating my 1-year Blogiversary! Join the fun and follow a week of posts about the sewing folks who have inspired my last year – and contests associated with every one! Thanks for visiting; the contests closed on August 18 at midnight.
A little over a year ago, I stepped into this shop for the first time, and my life changed:
Fabric Bliss turned into my sewing home, a refuge from the daily grind, where I can surround myself with beautiful fabric and talk with beautiful people who love sewing as much as I do.
It’s all thanks to this lovely lady, the shop’s owner Aurora Sisneros:
So today, I’m opening up a contest for as $50 gift certificate to Fabric Bliss. The beauty here is that you don’t have to live in Denver to benefit from this — you can use it for Aurora’s online shop, too! She has an amazing selection of quilting cottons, laminates, and I won’t hold it against you if you decide to buy some yarn with your free money!
This contest is open from 6 am MST on Tuesday, August 13, through Saturday, August 18, at midnight. One entry per person per day, please. All you have to do to enter: head over to my Facebook page & “Like” me, then come back here & comment about what you’d spend all these delightful fabric dollars on at Aurora’s store! You must comment to be eligible to win.
Another reminder that I do not accept blog sponsorships (for now at least), and all recommendations are based solely on my personal experience. All prizes this week have been donated or bought by moi. No purchase necessary to win. US & Canada residents only on this contest, sorry international friends! Chances of winning depend on the number of entries. I will pick a winner based on a random number generator (you will be assigned a number with your comment). The participant releases the blogger from all responsibility whatsoever associated with this contest.
Though I’ve written in the past about my Super Secret Sewing Social, and I’ve mentioned my Twitter sewing friends from time to time, I feel it’s important to take a moment and blog about something really important to a sewist: your sewing buddies.
First and foremost, I want to honor the most loyal and faithful of all my sewing buddies: Mushu. He is with me through thick and thin! He patiently waits (sleeps) while I cut pattern pieces, quilt endlessly, and curse at mistakes. I think a lot of us have little critters who support us, and we’re pretty lucky!
Of course the most important sewing buddies are your human friends, real and virtual. Jill, who started the Denver Sewing Collective, recently blogged about how to start a sewing group over at Sew It All magazine’s blog “Sew News.” I met Jill and the Sew It All ladies at Fabric Bliss, my friend Aurora’s shop, which has been a great connector many of our sewing careers. At Fabric Bliss and our Sewing social, we learn from each other, share the enjoyment of making things together, and have formed true friendships by sewing together in person!
And then there is the amazing group of bloggers and Tweeters who help me day and night. A few of us started chatting on Google Plus, and the benefits of talking via video chat have been priceless:
I recently learned about an award — the Liebster — roaming around the blogosphere, that honors virtual sewing buddies. I won the award twice from Spoolhardy Girl and Sally’s Quilting Corner, both terrific Twitter friends and bloggers! Thank you both so much! Now I get to pass the Liebster along to my own set of inspirational ladies. Here are the guidelines:
Liebster means Dearest in German and the award is a ‘share the love arrangement’ that is given to inspirational bloggers with less than 200 followers. There is a list of things that recipients are required to do upon receiving the award.
Thank the person who presented you with the award on your blog.
Link back to the blogger who gave you the award.
Copy and paste the award on your blog
Present the Liebster Award to 5 other bloggers with less than 200 followers.
Let them know you’ve chosen them by leaving a comment on their blog.
Now, I can’t tell how many followers these ladies have, and I am guessing several have more than 200. I hate to break the rules, but ah well. I’ve been called a Rogue Embroiderer, now I’ll just be a Rogue Liebster too. I’m giving out 10 awards; since I won twice, I figure I can nominate twice as many Liebsters. So, in no particular order:
1) Three Dresses Project by Leila, the goofiest, geekiest, most fantastic Doctor Who buddy on Twitter.
2) Stacy Sews by Stacy, with great creative flair inspires sewing confidence across the blogosphere.
3) Wandering Threads by Beth, who is traveling with me on what I’ll call “The Great Garment Experiment of 2012,” for those of us who are a little bit afraid of trying garment sewing.
4) Dog Under My Desk by Erin, another fellow sci fi nerd who loves to sew gorgeous goodies.
6) Sew Fearless by Jodi, who I know has many more than 200 followers, but she’s fantastic and I can’t NOT mention her here.
7) Bird and Bicycle by Malora Ann, who has the cutest baby and is making adorable clothes for him!
8) A Prairie Sunrise by Sharon, who is my Rocky Mountain Twitter buddy, carpool companion for Sewing Summit, and all around a terrific bloggy lady.
9) The Magical Effects of Thinking by Jill, who as I mentioned above started the Denver Sewing Collective and is committed to garment sewing and connecting sewists.
10) Last but certainly not least, Fabric Bliss by Aurora, my fabric store owner friend who’s opened up this whole world of sewing to me with her endless support, opportunities to teach, and gorgeous fabrics.